Villages and Farms of the Maasdam Family
The main activity on the Hoekse Waard island was agriculture. The members of the family Maasdam were mostly farmers or had professions related to agriculture such as miller or cooper. Some of the farms in the family are amoung the most prestigeous and beautiful in the region.
The Maasdams that emigrated to the United States of America have their roots in the villages of Strijen, Numansdorp and finally Zuid-Beijerland from where Johannes Bastiaansz, his sisters Jaapje and Pietertje and Jacobus Gerritsz left for America.
Millerstreet in Strijen
Village of Zuid-Beijerland also called "Hitzert".
Main street of Zuid-Beijerland (Dorpstraat 185) with Trijntje Johanna Maasdam (1886-1968).
Farmstead "Dijkenzicht" (View on the dykes), 2e Dwarsweg, Numansdorp. Built short after 1642. Sold by Lady Cicilia de Jonge van Ellemeet to farmers who later became related to the family. Photo dated 1925.
Farmstead "Goede Verwachting" (Good Hope). Built probably before 1800. Since 1909 in the Maasdam family.
Farmstead "Philipsburg", Middelweg 27, Numansdorp. Built by Philips van Cromstrijen after the reclamation of the polderland in 1642. Owned by Lord Van Waspik and farmed by Johannes Maasdam (1660-1732), his son Isaak (1714-1787), his grandson Pieter (1751-1803, who bought the farmstead in property from the Van Waspiks), his great-grandson Johannes (1790-1875), mayor of Numansdorp 1811-1817, and his great-great-grandson Johannes, married to Lena Herweijer who, when she became a widow, sold the farm to the De Waal family in 1889.
Mill at Helvoetsluis bought by Johannes Arieszoon Maasdam in 1913. Later operated by his younger brother Hermen and his son Arie until 1976.
Farmstead "Buitendijk" (Outside the dyke) in Strijen-Sas. Since 200 years in hands of the family Niemandsveriet. In 1903 Pieter Niemandsverdriet married Trijntje Maasdam, granddaughter of Arie Maasdam (1813-1891) from Numansdorp.
Farmstead Schenkeldijk 83, Strijen. Built early 18th century. Maria Maasdam, married to Rokus Wiekert Dam lived and farmed here early 20th century.
- << Prev